Study AwayUpper School sophomores and juniors are allowed to receive credit toward graduation at schools other than University Prep. Students who wish to enhance their University Prep experience by pursuing accredited study away programs should review the following information.
Students who wish to pursue study elsewhere for either a semester or an entire year must demonstrate their interest by completing a petition form (also available under Resources/Students/Forms) by March 20 of the preceding school year.
In support of University Prep’s mission to promote intellectual courage and global citizenship, University Prep sets aside two scholarships per semester for those families in need of tuition remission while participating in a study away program. In the event that more than two students request tuition remissions in a given semester, the tuition remissions will be granted by lottery. Students are only eligible to receive one semester of tuition remission during their University Prep career.
Qualified students will seek to enroll in programs that:
- are approved by the Instructional Leadership team, in consultation with the Director of Global Programs; **
- will not impede the fulfillment of the student’s diploma requirements;
- allow the student to proceed with her or his academic program upon return to University Prep.
- be in good academic standing as determined by the Director of Upper School in consultation with the faculty;
- be in good social standing as determined by the Director of Upper School and Dean of Students;
- sustain good standing both as a scholar and a citizen for the duration of the program;
- present a plan to share his or her experiences with the University Prep community upon return.
- submit their reenrollment contract with deposit by the stated mid-February deadline (this is required to hold the student’s place in school even if the student will be away for a full year);
- meet all tuition payment deadlines during the petition year;
- meet reenrollment and tuition payment deadlines during the semester/year the student is away.
**Students seeking information on international programs should visit Lauren Denton, Director of Global Programs. Those students interested in specialized domestic programs should speak to department heads.
“The teachers at U Prep do everything they can to help each student succeed.” Tia, twelfth grade