The school has adopted a new daily schedule for 2017-2018, as part of Strategic Plan 2020 Next Generation Learning. The schedule supports greater focus and depth of study, collaboration, the pursuit of individual passions, and meeting with teachers.
Over 18 months, a team of faculty and staff members gathered input from the school community, reviewed 30 other school schedules, and consulted a nationally recognized expert. For 2017-2018, the new schedule changes only the structure of the school day. The term structure will change the following year.
- A later daily start with a before-school period that allows access to teachers and learning support
- A daily advisory check-in and one longer weekly advisory that strengthens the student/advisor relationship
- Fewer transitions between academic classes
- Longer periods that meet less frequently and rotate on a predictable weekly basis
- A daily 60-minute community time block for assemblies, long advisory, clubs, meetings, special events, study skills workshops, and Community Conversations (US)
- A lunch period reserved exclusively for lunch
- Class periods that start and end at the same time each day
- Continued support for up to seven classes per semester
The following examples show how a student's classes, activities, and self-directed time could lay out in a typical week.