The UPrep Orchestra has created a great community where students can collaborate and celebrate music.” Wade '16
Our celebration of music starts in the sixth grade with a combined instrumental/choral offering and continues to high levels of jazz, vocal and orchestral performance. Music faculty work to present engaging thematic concerts in which younger players frequently perform alongside more advanced students - creating a sense of progression and connection across the school’s musical community. We provide instrumentalists and singers for school musicals, perform for events, travel out of state for festival competitions and engage in regional and state Solo and Ensemble. Our goal is to train independent and knowledgeable musicians.
- Upper School Jazz Band - 2nd place at the 2016 Clackamas Jazz Festival.
- 1st Place in the sixth-eighth grade Full Orchestra Division at the Northwest Orchestra Festival in Gresham, OR
- 2nd Place in the high school Small Ensemble Division at the Northwest Orchestra Festival in Gresham
- 3rd Place in the high school Full Orchestra, small school division at the Northwest Orchestra Festival
- 1st Place wins by three students at the Regional Solo and Ensemble event held at Seattle Pacific University in February 2016
- A 1st and 3rd Place win in the Bassoon and Clarinet categories respectively at the State Solo and Ensemble competition at CWU in April 2016
- One of our oboe students was selected as Principal Oboe and English Horn for the National Youth Orchestra 2.
- Music teacher Thane Lewis plays in the Tacoma Symphony, has been featured on KING FM, and is a regular guest with notable stage artists.
- Jazz teacher Jason Parker leads the #1 wedding band in the area, the Jason Parker Quartet, winning the KING5 Best of Western Washington Poll in 2016. His quartet has also released five critically acclaimed albums over the past nine years. He has performed with and/or shared the stage with the likes of Elvis Costello, Tom Scott, Crooked Fingers, DeVotchka, Little River Band, Carrie Akre, Speculation, Visqueen, Reggie Watts & Maktub, Sarah Shannon and others
- Vocal music teacher Tim Blok conducts choirs at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Medina and sings with Vox16 and whateverandeveramen.
- Swingin' Into Spring Jazz Concert, Sunday, May 7
- Tulas's Restaurant and Jazz Club, 4:00-6:00 p.m.