Our program is participation-based and each student is afforded the opportunity to be a member of a team. Last year over 70% of our Upper School students competed for the Pumas.
Our sub-varsity teams focus on both team and player development, consistent with the goals and vision for the program/sport. Our varsity teams compete at the League, District and State level. Varsity teams strive for excellence under the guidance of the coaching staff and in cooperation with our school values of responsibility, integrity and respect. Our students, families and coaches all hold high standards for sportsmanship while still being competitive.
Our education-based athletic program allows for students to strive for personal growth. In addition, the athletic experience often allows students to work with a diverse group of classmates, and often foster long-lasting friendships on and off the field. Our coaching staff promotes balance and supports their athletes both in and out of the classroom. The relationships and life skills nurtured on the field and on the court are enduring – teamwork, determination, perseverance and healthy competition will serve our Pumas for years to come.
My teammates are always there encouraging us to be the best that we could be. My coaches are constantly helping us to excel and improve throughout the season, and invariably find a way to make each practice fun.” Emily, eleventh grade
Recent accomplishments by University Prep athletic teams include:
- Girls Soccer – two-time State Champions
- Boys Tennis – State Singles Champion
- Girls Tennis – State Doubles Champion
- Ultimate Frisbee – Several players on the USA National Team
- Girls Basketball – Kyle Lawhead, Emerald City League Coach of the Year
- Girls Soccer – Alec Duxbury named Seattle Times Girls Soccer Coach of the Year and
Emerald City League Coach of the Year
- Over 70% participation rate in Upper School athletics
- Boys Track and Field - Emerald City League Champions
- Boys Track and Field - Kayla Robertson, Emerald City League Coach of the Year