At University Prep we want to make sure that every student can easily access expert advice and support. Our two highly qualified school counselors are active participants in the life of the school, paying close attention to the social and emotional health of our entire community. Centrally located in the heart of UPrep’s campus, they proactively build a safe and caring learning environment by:
- Supporting students during times of transition and adjustment
- Providing short-term confidential social-emotional support
- Assisting students to develop skills of self-advocacy
- Consulting with faculty and administration on student support interventions
- Helping students and parents navigate typical developmental challenges as well as more substantial emotional disturbances.
- Assisting in making referrals to community providers when more specialized care is necessary
- Providing continuity of care for students engaged in therapy elsewhere
- Providing educational programming to all segments of the UPrep community
University Prep’s counseling office employs both qualitative and quantitative assessment to inform its practices. From thoughtful conversations with all members of our school community to the administration of the Independent School Health Check (ISHC), the latest research and survey methods guide our counseling office’s work. UPrep’s unique partnerships with mental health providers in the Puget Sound region help make our campus an incubator for excellence in school counseling. We also work closely with the Parent Education Committee to support a speaker series that addresses adolescent mental health.
The support of our counseling office made me a stronger person, a more fulfilled community member, and a better student. So much of my UPrep success is due to their work.” UPrep senior