Upper School students fine-tune their English language abilities by practicing the elements of effective interpersonal communication, close reading of literary and visual texts, audience-centered composition, public speaking and oral interpretation.
The English department encourages students to develop both self-awareness and personal style through the writing process, from pre-writing through revision. Students take four years of English, consisting of required courses in ninth and tenth grades and semester elective courses in eleventh and twelfth grades.
- Canon, Cultural Capital, Critical Thought
- Critical Reading and Effective Writing
- Epic: A Hero’s Journey
- Environmental Ethics and Advocacy
- Knights, Camera, Action: Medievalism From Myth to Media
- Masculine and Feminine: Ways of Seeing in the West
- Poetry: The Quarrel with Ourselves
- Science Fiction: More Than a Genre
- States United? Nonfiction Texts and American Identity