Upper School students fine-tune their English language abilities by practicing the elements of effective interpersonal communication, close reading of literary and visual texts, audience-centered composition, public speaking and oral interpretation.
The English department encourages students to develop both self-awareness and personal style through the writing process, from pre-writing through revision. Students take four years of English, consisting of required courses in ninth and tenth grades and semester elective courses in eleventh and twelfth grades.
- The Big Novel: One Hundred Years of Solitude
- Canon, Cultural Capital, Critical Thought
- Critical Reading and Effective Writing
- Homegoing: Literature of Africa and her Branches
- Immigrant Stories: The Power of Representation
- Literature of Identity: Hyphenating America
- Poetry: From Blake to Drake
- Science Fiction: More Than a Genre