Our program is participation-based and each student is afforded the opportunity to be a member of a team. Last year over 70% of our Upper School students competed for the Pumas.
Our sub-varsity teams focus on both team and player development, consistent with the goals and vision for the program/sport. Our varsity teams compete at the League, District and State level. Varsity teams strive for excellence under the guidance of the coaching staff and in cooperation with our school values of responsibility, integrity and respect. Our students, families and coaches all hold high standards for sportsmanship while still being competitive.
Our education-based athletic program allows for students to strive for personal growth. In addition, the athletic experience often allows students to work with a diverse group of classmates, and often foster long-lasting friendships on and off the field. Our coaching staff promotes balance and supports their athletes both in and out of the classroom. The relationships and life skills nurtured on the field and on the court are enduring – teamwork, determination, perseverance and healthy competition will serve our Pumas for years to come.
My teammates are always there encouraging us to be the best that we could be. My coaches are constantly helping us to excel and improve throughout the season, and invariably find a way to make each practice fun.” Emily, eleventh grade
Recent accomplishments by University Prep athletic teams include:
- Girls Soccer and Boys Soccer - 2017 WIAA 1A State Academic Champions
- Boys Tennis – WIAA State Team Champions 2017 and 2018
- Boys Soccer – WIAA State Quarterfinalist 2018 – (Overall 11th trip to State)
- Baseball – WIAA State Regionals 2018 – first time since 2005
- Arie Smidt – WIAA State Champion 1A 800m - 2018
- Over 73% participation rate in Upper School athletics
- Class of 2021 (9th Grade) 86% participation rate in the 2017-2018 school year
- Boys Track and Field Emerald City League Champions 2016 and 2018
- Boys Tennis – Emerald City League Champions 2016 and 2017
- Boys Track and Field - Kayla Robertson, Emerald City League Coach of the Year 2016, 2017, 2018
- Every team sport qualified for the league, district or state playoffs in the 2017-2018 school year