"My teammates were always there, encouraging me to be the best that I could be. And my coaches were constantly helping us to excel and improve throughout the season. They invariably found a way to make each practice fun!” --Emily, UPrep Alum
UPrep's Upper School Athletics program encourages broad-based participation, and our no-cut policy affords each student the opportunity to be a member of a team, regardless of experience or skill level. At UPrep, each and every team strives to achieve its own definition of success and excellence. Last year, over 67% of our Upper School students competed for the Pumas!
Our sub-varsity teams focus on both team and player development consistent with the goals and vision for the program/sport. Our varsity teams, which compete at the League, District, and State-Level, strive for excellence under the guidance of the coaching staff, in cooperation with our values of responsibility, integrity, and respect. Our students, families, coaches, and fans all share a belief in maintaining a high level of sportsmanship while still being competitive.
The UPrep Athletics program is education-based and our coaching staff encourage balance and support our students in and out of the classroom. Joining a team provides our students with the opportunity to partner with a diverse group of classmates, often resulting in new and long-lasting friendships on and off the field. The relationships and life skills nurtured on the field and on the court–teamwork, determination, perseverance, and healthy competition–are enduring and serve our Pumas long after they graduate.
Recent accomplishments by University Prep athletic teams include:
- Baseball - 2019 WIAA State Champions
- Boys Tennis - 2019 WIAA 3rd Place Team Trophy, 2017 and 2018 WIAA State Team Championships, 2016 and 2017 Emerald City League Champions
- Girls Tennis - 2019 Emerald City League Champions (first time since 1997)
- Boys Cross Country - 2018 Emerald City League Champions (first time since 1983)
- Coaches - 2018-19 Emerald City Coaches of the Year (Kayla Robertson - Boys Cross Country; Moses Rifkin - Girls Ultimate; Mark Ball - Girls Tennis)
- Girls Soccer - 2017 WIAA 1A State Academic Championships
- Boys Soccer - 2017 WIAA 1A State Academic Championships, 2018 WIAA State Quarterfinalist (overall 11th trip to State)
- Boys Track and Field - 2016 and 2018 Emerald City League Champions, 2018 WIAA State Champion 1A in the 800m (Arie Smidt)
- Boys Cross Country - Varsity
- Boys Tennis - Varsity
- Boys Ultimate - Varsity
- Girls Cross Country - Varsity
- Girls Soccer - Varsity
- Girls Volleyball - Varsity
- Boys Tennis - Junior Varsity
- Boys Ultimate - Junior Varsity
- Girls Soccer - Junior Varsity
- Girls Volleyball - Junior Varsity
- Girls Volleyball - JVC