For many students, navigating social scenarios and stress during adolescence can be difficult. Providing guidance at this critical point in their development is a major focus of our work. Our goal is to minimize obstacles and maximize growth by collaborating with students to increase their skills in a variety of areas." –Andrea Moore, UPrep Counselor
At University Prep, we want to ensure that every student can easily access support when they need it. Each grade level is paired with a counselor who follows them throughout their time at UPrep. This allows deep, long-lasting relationships to form.
Our two school counselors are active participants in the life of the school, paying close attention to the social and emotional health of our entire community. They proactively build a safe and caring learning environment by:
- Providing short-term, confidential individual counseling
- Consulting with faculty and administration on student support interventions
- Supporting new students as they transition into the UPrep community
- Helping students and families navigate typical developmental challenges as well as more substantial emotional challenges
- Making referrals to community mental health providers when more specialized care is necessary
- Coordinating with a student’s existing therapist to provide wraparound support
- Delivering educational programming on social and emotional issues for students, faculty, and families
UPrep’s Counseling Office employs both qualitative and quantitative assessment--from thoughtful conversations to the administration of school-wide surveys--to inform its practices. We partner with a number of local experts to keep our programming current and work closely with the Parent Education Committee to support a speaker series that addresses adolescent development and mental health.