Parent Education Events
We hope you will join us for some or all of our education events this year! All events begin with refreshments at 6:30 p.m. with programs at 7:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
- October 15 - What Parents Need to Know about Substance Use, Library
- October 17- Drug and Alcohol Parent Education Coffee, 8:30-9:30 a.m., Walden
During the two above meetings, Freedom From Chemical Dependency (FCD) Prevention Works will present on the following topics:
- Effective ways to communicate with your child about alcohol and drug use
- Current facts about drug use and trends
- What to say about your experience with alcohol and/or drug experimentation
- How to spot early warning signs of trouble, and effective ways to respond
Parents will also have the opportunity to pose questions about the FCD program. If you have any questions, contact school counselors Andrea Moore or Lindsay Metcalfe.
- November 7- Neurodiverse Learners in Schools: Evaluation and Intervention, Library
Dr. Elizabeth Smith, Learning Disabilities Specialist and owner of Kinderminds, will speak on diagnostic evaluation and the delicate balance of student accommodations and interventions. She will address the following questions:
What are markers of a learning difference vs. specific skills challenges?How would a parent know that it is time to pursue testing?
What does the typical evaluation process look like in terms of content, cost and time?
What does one hope to learn during the evaluation process and what happens afterward?
How does the information gathered during an evaluation translate to student support in school?How does the information gathered during an evaluation inform student choice?
If you are interested in learning more about the diagnostic process and subsequent interventions and accommodations for students with specific learning needs, come join us.
- January 30 - Coffee and Conversation with Shannon Salverda, 1:45-3:00 p.m., Walden
Join Shannon Salverda, Director of Integrated Learning for coffee and conversation. As second semester begins, discuss ways to set your student up for success, find access to supports and best utilize the many integrated learning resources on campus.
- May 15 - Coffee and Conversation with Shannon Salverda, 8:30-9:45 a.m., Walden. Join Shannon Salverda, Director of Integrated Learning, to review the 2018-2019 student and family experience with Integrated Learning, ask questions, praise successes, and make suggestions for 2019-2020.